THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »
We are taking a break for the summer until futher notice.

Week 9 - Personal Stories

The knowledge that Jesus will return some day should affect our lives in practical ways; it should help us have Blue Jean Faith. Kay H. and Dorothy share how their lives have been changed by anticipating that day of His coming.


Kay H’s story

For a long time I didn’t think much about Jesus’ returning. Whenever I did think about it, it seemed like it would be more of an interruption to my plans for my life than something to look forward to. I wanted to finish college and have a career. I wanted to watch my children grow up and get married. I wanted to enjoy retirement with my husband. Now life is harder, both in a global sense and in my particular circumstances, and I have a different perspective on Jesus’ return. First, it gives me hope. When I watch the news or read about the threatening evil, wickedness and suffering all around us, I’m comforted to know that God has it all under control and He’s in charge of the last days. The world will ultimately be destroyed, but it won’t be because we were careless in our use of natural resources or unable to stop religious fanatics. Jesus will return and He will reign and He will judge.


Second, knowing that Jesus will return helps me to set priorities. There is no shortage of demands on my time, energy, and money. Likewise, there are ample opportunities for entertainment and leisure. I could let guilt or pride drive me to say yes to everything that seems good and worthwhile. Or I could pursue comfort and pleasure. In trying to make decisions, I’m challenged by Jesus’ words in Matthew 24:42-51, especially verses 45-46: “Who then is the faithful and sensible slave whom his master put in charge of his household to give them their food at the proper time? Blessed is that slave whom his master finds so doing when he comes.” I imagine Jesus returning at any point during my day and what He would say about what I’m doing. Would He say, “Kay, why are you spinning your wheels in that task when I gave you something else to do?” Or would He say, “Well done.” I’m also challenged to pick Kingdom over convenience. Sometimes choosing Kingdom is saying yes to a difficult or time consuming task, like preparing a meal for someone, inviting neighborhood kids to join us for Spotlight Live on Wednesdays or VBS during the summer, or committing to a weekly Bible study group. Sometimes choosing Kingdom is saying no to a good opportunity and dealing with the inconvenience of disappointing a friend.


Finally, thinking “Amen. Come Lord Jesus” (Rev. 22:20) compels me to pray for my unsaved family and friends as well as for fruitful labor for all the missionaries I know. I want Him to come soon, but I’m grateful for His patience to allow as many as who will come to repentance.


Maintaining hope, setting priorities and praying for the lost all become easier when I keep in mind that Jesus could return at any time.


Dorothy’s Story

Knowing that Jesus will return gives me hope; it gives me a sense of security; and it gives me much joy. Growing up in a church, I accepted Christ as my savior at age nine. However, I cannot remember any sermons or Bible studies that dealt with the second coming of Christ. We sang many hymns that referred to Jesus as king, and we said the Apostles’ Creed each Sunday. Part of that creed says, “He shall come to judge the quick and the dead.”


Since coming to Northwest Bible Church some 26 years ago, I have had a deepened understanding of scriptures that talk about Jesus’ return. I don’t pretend to understand everything, but I understand enough that I can think of his return with joyful anticipation. I know he came the first time to suffer and die for our sins. When he comes the second time, he will indeed be king. He will judge and rule this earth for a thousand years.


We sing “Joy to the World” at Christmas time, but this song is really about his second coming. “Joy to the earth! The Savior reigns. . . .He rules the world with truth and grace, and makes the nations prove the glories of his righteousness and wonders of his love.” At Jesus’ first coming most of the world did not accept his truth and grace.


Knowing that Jesus will return also causes me to think about how I am living my life. Am I making wise choices in how I use the material and the spiritual gifts he has given me? Am I making use of opportunities to share the good news of Jesus with my friends and family? Will I be found faithful?


I choose the last verse of the hymn, “The Solid Rock,” for my prayer:


“When He shall come with trumpet sound, O may I then in Him be found,
Dressed in His righteousness alone, Faultless to stand before the throne.”

No comments: