THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »
We are taking a break for the summer until futher notice.

(Monday 03/24/08) Deborah - Day 1 & Introduction

WEEK THREE
Deborah
INTRODUCTION

This week we'll study some events in the beginning of Israel's history in the land of Canaan. We will see the power of God to use a woman when no man was found to take leadership in the nation. Deborah was a willing individual who held many positions including wife, mother, judge, and prophetess. She was placed in the historical narrative for many good reasons, but what strikes me most is her boldness and obedience during a very difficult time in her nation's history. As we begin, remember to ask the Holy Spirit to fill you with His wisdom and teach you important lessons to apply to your life today. After all, that's why we have this marvelous book we call the Bible!

DAY ONE


1. Take time today to read Judges 1-3 in one sitting. From Chapter 1, note the overriding problem the children of Israel fell into. (vv.27-36) How was this in direct disobedience to Deuteronomy 7:1-5 and 20:16-18?

Hear It! Judges 1, Judges 2, Judges 3

2. According to Judges 2:1-3 and 2:20--3:4, what was the result of the people's disobedience?

LESSONS AND APPLICATIONS

1. God's commands are to be obeyed. What has God instructed you to do, but you have not obeyed? Seek God's forgiveness, then just do it!

2. Captivity can be used by God to lead His people to repentance. In what way have you been held captive because of your disobedience? Are you ready now to repent and move forward in faith and obedience?

3. God holds power over the nations. When have you taken it seriously to pray for our nation or international events?

4. God can use severe discipline to teach His people. What form of discipline have you experienced that was beneficial to your spiritual growth?

1 comment:

Christina Ketchum said...

About 6 years ago I had a job that I built much of my self-worth on. After 911, funding was cut at my place of employment and I lost my job. My self-worth plummeted and I realized that I had built my self-worth on shaky foundation. The situation forced me to look for a church and base my self-worth on the only stable foundation - God!